Monday, October 6, 2014

That's called being a single mom?

Do you facebook? I do but have rethought that decision a lot this past week. When I do post, it's usually a quote or a share from someone I follow. Today, I read something that really got under my skin and wanted to share that with you guys. A nameless woman, a girlfriend of a divorced man with children posted copies of her texts between herself and the ex-wife. Apparently, the ex-wife wanted the girlfriend to pick up the kids because she had to work and couldn't find anyone else as the father was also working. The girlfriend, who also has kids, wrote back and said that's called being a single mom, figure it out. That is not what being a single mom is about! Am I wrong here? Why is this acceptable? The father is at work and so is the mom, then why shouldn't the girlfriend who is living with the father and children pick them up? I believe if you're going to play the part of the wife, then you need to play the role of stepmom. I've been a stepmom and loved my stepdaughter as if she were mine. When two people get divorced, it's not always easy. I'll be the first to admit that. My ex-husband pops in and out when it's convenient for him or when he grows a conscience for a little bit. I firmly believe when there is a divorce, you both have to work harder to put the children first. Just because you're divorced, doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to rely on the father of your children to help and not just when it's his/her turn. This is precisely what the father was saying to the ex-wife and his girlfriend. It wasn't his turn with the children, she'd have to find someone else. When in the world did this become okay? They are still your children and if they need you, you should drop everything and help. Not because it's your week but because they're your children. That doesn't change. I have never understood girls, and yes I'll call them that, that support the kind of man that is only a father on their weekends or not a father at all to their children. I know too many men that are happily supporting their girlfriend's kids while their own children go without.

No comments:

Post a Comment